Sunday, September 6, 2015

Dragon Con Parade

The Saturday before Labor Day is always the Dragon Con parade. For those uninitiated, this is a celebration of all things geeky by the ubergeeks. Any of these super geeks that want to participate in the parade to show off their costumes are welcome. Also any of the really distinguished visiting geeks get to ride in the parade. For example this year we had the original star trek lady and the guy from the big bird costume. 
There were many impressive costumes and some clever ones. I have here a selection, not necessarily of my favorites but of some of the ones that the pictures turned out. 

One group costume I always think is pretty good is the periodic table of the elements. You can see Thorium is Thor, Indium is Indiana Jones, Calcium is milk. Laurencium is Lawrence of Arabia, 










There were also Pirates and even the guys from Medieval times on horses and carrying lances. 


There were some very impressive suits of armor and authentic storm troopers and halo guys. This is a creepy giant robot from a video game called Bioshock. 








I think not to be out done by the periodic table of the elements a bunch of faculty from Georgia State came dressed up as famous scientists and philosophers. Their costumes weren't the best but it was a fun idea.



Speaking of fun ideas, we have Belle from Beauty and the Beast and the Sharknado himself. 

It was fun to watch the parade and try and guess what everyone was from. I got about half of them I think. Surprisingly the numbers of people dressed up as Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter characters were way down, Superheroes were up as were Disney characters. 

There was also a guy with a giant, presumably benign growth on his leg. I took a picture but decided against posting it in fear Dad would never visit the site again. So if you want a picture let me know. 


1 comment:

  1. I like the elements idea! But now I'm considering sharknado for a Halloween costume

    ReplyDelete