On the way to Grandma's I had a layover in Denver. Everything seemed fairly normal until the flight attendants came on and said that there was a tornado warning so we needed to clear the aircraft and head to the tornado shelter. There were sirens and everything. I thought: this is probably like going to a fall out shelter in the cold war. But there were fewer bouffants and coat dresses. Everyone from the terminal was down in the shelter. Fortunately, the shelter is actually just the airport basement where they sort luggage between airplanes, so the space was large and there were many little golf cart tractors driving around.
I got to check out the luggage tracks; you would definitely need a cart to ride on these, but it could be fun. There were also giant ducts suitable for crawling through. If this were Myst or Riven we would be clambering in to find the next tunnel. As it was I think the airport officials would frown on that.
There was also the largest supply of antifreeze that I have ever seen. These glycol pipes were just some of many that ran through the whole basement. I spent some time thinking up what one would do with that much antifreeze before realizing it was the coolant for the airport's AC.




Looks like you had a good tour of the airport underground. Do you remember that we once took a tour of the "Port of Portland" in Oregon which, was not a tour of the watery port, but a behind the scenes tour of the airport? We got to see how the luggage is sorted (or not), and other such activities. I'm glad that you were able to revisit that long ago adventure.
ReplyDeleteAlso, once I was caught in a tornado alert in your very own city of Atlanta. But I was in World of Coca Cola at the time, so we were ushered into a small secret sanctum with all of my new closest friends. And we didn't get any free samples while we waited out the storm.
I don't recall that outing but the tornado shelter reminded me of the time we toured the workings of the bowling alley.
Delete