Thursday, August 20, 2015

Castel de Angelo and Bridge of angels

 This is not the Castel de Angelo. We thought it was since it was a castle right in front of the bus stop labeled Castel de Angelo. Turns out it is just some other random castle. I haste it when my city is so full of castles that I can't tell which ancient castle I'm supposed to be looking at. 
In front of this not Castel de Angelo there were these two statues. We thought that they looked like us. The one guy is sitting there thinking, the other guy looks over "hey what are you thinking about" "I'm reading this bus schedule, it takes lots of concentration." 
  This is the real Castel de Angelo. There is a statue of Michael on the top. He is sheathing his sword. Apparently one of the times there was a plague coming through Rome someone saw Michael sheathing his sword which they interpreted as an end to the plague. The plague actually ended so they decided they better memorialize the event. By building a castle. 
The castle is at the end of the bridge called the Bridge of Angels there are 5 sets of angels all along the bridge. We walked down it the wrong way so it took us a while to figure out the theme that each angel was holding one of the implements of the crucifixion. 

 Before we figured it out our favorite angels were  the ones that we named the angel of dice and the angel of the scrub brush.








2 comments:

  1. You should start memorializing events in your life by building castles. "I published a paper. I'll build a castle." "I finished college. I'll build a castle." "I had a fresh pineapple for dinner. I'll build a castle."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this plan! Maybe this is why Europe is so dotted with castles.

    ReplyDelete