Monday, July 11, 2016

The rest of Nashvile

We made a few other stops while in Nashville. One was the Gaylord Opryland hotel. I was rather skeptical of this being put on the list (who goes to a hotel they aren't staying in?) but it turned out to be great. This place is ridiculous. It has 4 giant internal parks complete with It's a Small World boat rides, waterfalls, trees pruned to look like elephants, giant chandeliers, wisteria covered gazebos. After looking at all the cool decorations we had lunch at one of the restaurants in the hotel. We got a sushi roll, crab bisque, and a fancy grilled cheese sandwhich. The crab soup was amazing. Think about the lobster bisque from Legal Seafoods and then imagine it being more flavorful and delicious. It was pretty incredible. The other food was good too. 

After going to the hotel we headed back downtown to go to the country music hall of fame museum. This museum tracked the whole history of country music from back in about 1900 when it broke with Gospel past the 1940's when it broke with Bluegrass through till today when it is trying hard to mix well with pop. There were lots of memorabilia and awards. I particularly liked two cars they had there. One was all decked out with silver plated guns as handles and leather interior studded with silver dollars. Another was Elvis' car which was sparkly because it was painted with gold dust and diamond slivers. It also had a television, TV, stereo with automatic record changer and telephone. 

We saw the gold and platinum records for hit albums. I was entertained by the more recent ones that were double mounted with CDs in addition to the records. The museum has everyone ever awarded for a country song, so the collection was rather extensive. We listened to music from some of the hall of famers. I hadn't realized how fluid many of the groups were. I listened to guitarists who had played with 15 different performers. There were also pianists and songwriters who had worked with many different artists. I guess I had always just imagined that bands stuck together more than that. But maybe my vision has been clouded by groups like Journey and Rolling Stones who are still going on tour. Speaking of awards, it turns out that the song Trailers for Sale or Rent is actually are very real song and that the guy who wrote/performed it won a ton of Grammys


The whole experience was so captivating it was hard to leave the museum when we got to the end.





No comments:

Post a Comment