Monday, July 4, 2016

Monterey Aquarium

For my free afternoon at the muscle conference I went to the Monterey Aquarium. When I walked in and saw that it used to be a sardine packaging plant I was both concerned about the quality of the aquarium and struck by the irony of the arrangement. I should not have been concerned. The aquarium was very nice. I was particularly impressed that most of their tanks featured live coral and cool anemones.           
There were lots of cool exhibits in the aquarium my favorites were the ones about octopuses. There were some ancient pottery with pictures of octopuses. The octopuses they had on display were very cool. There were cool little ones and ones that could change colors and giant ones. 

We got to see a diver feeding fish, 3 kinds of otters, an area with tide pools and sea birds and a touch tank with a sea cucumber. Surprisingly, the sea cucumber feels a lot like a lung.


3 comments:

  1. Just wondering, how exactly do you know what a lung feels like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... specifically, why weren't you wearing gloves when you touched the lung? (Or did you take gloves to the aquarium for the touch tank? That could be a good idea if you are planning to poke slimy organ-like critters.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fortunately, you will remember I went to an anatomy conference where they were selling fake cadavers for surgeons to practice on. One of the things that this company had worked hard on was getting the consistency of the different organs right. The lungs were very squishy. But not slimy. The sea cucumber was slimy.

    ReplyDelete