Thursday, November 12, 2015

Cloudland Canyon

I went camping this past weekend with my friends. We went to the Cloudland Canyon state park in North Georgia. This is supposed to be one of the best places in Georgia for fall leaves. Unfortunately, we have been in the middle of wet. This wet has lasted several weeks. The wet continues to come. It isn't like the monsoons. Yes it rains, but the rain drops are small and most of the time they are spaces apart. The real wet is the fact that the clouds have become rather lethargic and decided that they are too tired to fly; so, the clouds and us are sharing the same space and the wet is everywhere. Seriously, I haven't watered my house plants in over a month. The result of this onslaught of wet is that the leaves weren't really as cool as we were hoping (but there was some good color), inspite of this the forest actually looked really cool (kind of like a ghosty forest one where magical creatures appear out of the fog and then soundlessly disappear), and I got to try out my new rain jacket I got at the REI garage sale. So really it was all around a resounding success. 
Shockingly I was able to convince most of my friends that they should come still come and camp in the wet so we had quite the happening camp. In addition to trying my new rain coat, I also got to try out my new hammock tent (or hent as it was dubbed by the fellow campers). This was also bounty from the REI garage sale; it had been returned because it was missing the rain fly and so I got it for 75% off. Given the pervading wet, I was moderately concerned about this missing feature of my hent. Fortunately, rigging up a tarp worked just fine and the first night in the hent was completely dry and quite comfortable. 

After a night of smores (we packed in wood) and bear stories, we slept in and had breakfast burritos. finally, after breaking camp we hiked out to see the famous canyon of clouds and two waterfalls. The view into the canyon was slightly less impressive than it might have been if there were fewer clouds but the waterfalls were beautiful and the river in the canyon was lovely surrounded by the fall leaves. 

  
Cloudland Canyon lived up to it's name as a place full of clouds. I'm glad I got to go camping in a beautiful place, that we stayed dry and that I have friends that I am able to sucker into getting muddy and wet for the sake of waterfalls and trying out new hammocks.  







1 comment:

  1. That waterfall shot is beautiful. And I'm glad your hent worked out so nicely! Were the ground sleepers dry, too?

    ReplyDelete