As you are well aware, I went to Europe as an extension of the Myogenesis research conference. This is a very cool international conference so reasearchers came from all over the world to talk about everything relating to muscles. During the session just for trainees, I got to give a talk on my technique for isolating nuclei; I also got to present my work in poster form to everyone who wanted to stop by.
My journey to the conference started in Atlanta. I got this Sprite during the lay over. It seemed perfectly designed for me heading off to the conference.
The hotel was very fancy with lots of delicious food. This is the front of the hotel. They fed us breakfast and coffee break with cookies and lunch and another coffee break with cookies and dinner. All of it delicious.
The conference was mostly science all day starting at 9 and going to 8. But everyday there was a break in the middle. I went on some excursions during the breaks and will write about those later. I learned a lot about muscles and research and think I made some good contacts. Some of the exciting research was about clinical trials of therapies for different muscle diseases. Some of the interesting ones were on a disease that turns muscle into bone, jellyfish muscles, shark muscles (this lab is located in Australia and they go out on the beach and catch their own sharks), how nerves affect what type of muscle you have, and how best to supplement the nutrition of premature babies.
The Conference was very interesting and I am very glad that I got to go.

Love the Sprite.
ReplyDeleteAnd the shark job. You should consider post doc work in Australia.
When I was in elementary school I read a report about an Egyptian mummy whose jaw muscle had turned to bone before he died. He hadn't been able to open his jaw so they knocked out his front teeth to feed him. I was always terrified it would happen to me, but then I could never find anything about muscle ossifying so I figured it wasn't true. Now maybe it is true?? Do I have to be scared again?
ReplyDeleteThere is but I doubt you are in any danger of contacting it.
Delete