Saturday, January 14, 2017

San Diego Old Town

One of the mornings while I was at the engineering conference I went to see San Diego old town. There were lots of old buildings and most of the people working there were dressed in historic costume. There were several school groups there watching the living history demonstrations. I enjoyed the candied nuts that were sold on in the town square.
I made a rather rough looking friend who wasn't too interested in leaving the bench to do more sightseeing. 
Right next to old town was the Mormon Battalion visitor center. The museum was actually really good. The presentation was geared to a much much younger audience but it was still quite informative. From the visitor center and other plaques around old town I learned that the Mormon Battalion was actually quite important to San Diego. they taught the residents how to fire bricks. Their contributions included digging wells, building the first brick building, building the first flour mill, and teaching farming and irrigation practices. The sign in the courthouse said that they were so helpful to the locals that the citizens of the town drew up a petition for them to stay upon their discharge. Some of them did.








2 comments:

  1. You did go to the Mormon Battalion! I'm glad! But shocked your favorite part wasn't panning for gold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete