My roommate has taken down her Christmas tree so it is officially the end of Christmas. As a retrospective, I offer a critical comparison of some of the many nativity sets that I saw. Clearly, all nativity sets have the same essential components: the holy family, visitors, and animals. The easiest elements to vary are the costumes and friendly animals.
I liked the visitors and outfits of the characters in the San Diego nativity set. Having an elephant, a camel, and a horse is much more exciting than all camels. And a mariachi band is more fun and just as disruptive as a little drummer boy.
The traditional nativity at Temple Square in Salt Lake is very pretty with all the lights and floating candles, but somewhat lacking in supporting cast and I imagine that they must get rather cold on the lake.
My favorite set of visitors were in the Safari nativity. Having a cheetah, zebra, and giraffe come to visit is much more exciting than just pasture grade sheep. Though the family does look chilly.
The Inuit family were best prepared for the winter weather and I really like their stable. I would have appreciated having a polar bear and a moose come to welcome the baby.
While not strictly a nativity I really like this donkey's ears. It does leave me wanting a chicken and llama or goat.
The Bean Museum nativity wins the prize for most realistic. I liked all the animal visitors especially the rhino. I do have some concerns about the whole nativity taking place in orbit. It just seems like it would be hard to keep the baby in the manger in 0 G.
Inspired by the exciting visitors that came to these fun nativities, I added dinosaurs to my nativity. I think it spices it up nicely.

No comments:
Post a Comment