
Last week I went to a conference all about muscle biology. More about what I learned there coming soon but I wanted to start off with the location. The conference was at a historic Asilomar Conference Grounds. Apparently, the land was bought by a member of the Hearst family and gifted to the YWCA. The YWCA developed the site during the 1910's and it is now part of a state park. This made it slightly more rustic than other conference centers I have visited but it was also beautiful. Most of the time it was gray and overcast and a little drizzly, classic NW beach weather. The last two days it was sunshiny if still very windy.
While watching the waves I saw some otters swimming in the waves which was cute. I also saw a whole flock of pelicans. I didn't find any tide pools though so I don't know if there were any sea shells or fish there.
While the site was beautiful one of the buildings gave me a moment of pause. There was a prominent warning sign informing the world that meddling with the building will devastate air travel. Unfortunately as far as I can tell the only technical equipment associated with the sign is a laundry line. I never realized that laundry was so critical to air traffic control.


No comments:
Post a Comment