The National Gallery is a one of the many many museums in London. It should not be confused with the National Portrait Gallery which has a more narrow scope. The building itself is large with several floors and two wings. There were fun street performers in front of it and on at least two occasions several protesters.
The way into the Gallery was guarded by what could either be a bronze casting of a prehistoric mammal or a wingless winged skeleton horse known for pulling the carriage of some of the less friendly Greek gods and conveying foolish wizarding teens to a poorly planned battle in the ministry of magic. It's hard to tell from this angel so either could be equally accurate.
Inside the gallery there were lots of pictures and a large display on frames. The frame display was interesting because it was a room in an art gallery with empty frames hung on all the walls. There were little plaques describing the frame, when it was made, in what style and how it came to be in the collection. I don't know if they feature a different type of frame on a rotating basis but the ones that were on display when I looked were all carved with flowers an curls. As far as the collection, it was nice but certainly didn't stand a chance when stacked against the museums we saw in Italy. England may have gotten all the ancient treasures from around the world but it looks like the more modern (like since the dark ages) treasures are more dispersed, with higher concentrations in Italy, France, and Taiwan.
I saw this picture of the Holy Family teaching Jesus to read. I liked it. I thought it had both a nice familial feel and some nice symbolism of Jesus as the Word
No comments:
Post a Comment