Sunday, December 6, 2015

England: Bath

Bath; like Bologna, Walla Walls, Boring, and Margaritaville; is one of those town names that sticks with you. So, I don't actually know if Bath played a more significant role in British literature than other towns but I certainly remember characters visiting Bath a lot. the characters always seemed to just sit around and have parties so that is what I expected. Our visit in Bath was much less leisurely, about an hour. We hopped off the bus toured the ancient Roman baths, looked for a fun souvenir and settled on fudge before jumping back on the bus. For being so short we sure took a lot of pictures.  
The town square outside of the baths was very cute. There were musicians playing fun songs ranging from classical stuff you would expect in an Austen town to instrumental versions of current top 40s like Swift's Shake it out. Quite the collection. Across the square was a large gothic church with lots of spires and a cool door. Bath looked like a nice town that would be fun to wander, but sadly no time.    
Inside the Baths it was apparent that things had gone down hill since the Romans with the notable exceptions of new statue decor and the complete lack of togas (not that there was a lack of togas but that they had been replaced with less togay things). But of the 4 baths that had once been available only two were still full of water. Both were a rather alarming color and had signs posted reminding you that should you enter the water death is likely imminent. While it is impressive that the Roman plumbing still works, I was concerned about the creatures living in it. I was especially interested in the likely sequence of events when the large slime mold enters the amoebic stage and starts chasing visitors.
 It was very cool seeing all the steam around the initial hot spring and the series of pools that the water would pass through to cool before being piped into the baths. Visiting Romans would throw little pieces of metal with wishes written on them into the spring for the spring deity to grant. Many of them were about what you would expect: heal me, help me find my cow, let me pass o-chem; but there were a surprising number of them that were rather creative curses on enemies especially thieves. It appears that even in ancient Roman days pickpockets were a problem.
The tour of the baths ended with little cups of the healthy mineral water. Despite my concerns given the signs by the pools I had seen about impending doom, I decided to try the restorative powers of the waters of Bath. Pretty much it tasted like baking soda water and I was disappointed that I did not immediately develop super powers or anything. But I didn't get sick at the end of our trip whereas Laura did and she did not drink the fancy healthy water. 
I think we might have enjoyed the baths more if we had not just come from larger more impressive Roman ruins. As it was I would have rather explored the town and had a little tea party than taken the tour. 

1 comment:

  1. I thought the water here tasted better than the sulfur laced spa water I sampled in Austria. I also liked the gelato shop where I ordered crepes. Yum! It would be fun to spend more time in that city!

    ReplyDelete