Monday, April 11, 2016

Atlanta dogwood festival

Saturday was the Atlanta dogwood festival. With the early spring I was worried that none of the dogwoods would still be blooming by the time the festival got here, but it turned out ok. We started the day with a race. There were tons of people, possibly the biggest race I've done so far. I ran with some people from work. There were 10 of us total but we weren't able to find everyone after the race for a picture. 
While we were waiting for the booths to open we went to breakfast at the flying biscuit and got delicious food. I had pancakes and potatoes and everyone else got some variety of egg. We walked through the booths which were either selling funnel cakes or some form of art. There were lots of paintings and prints but also lots of wood working, stained glass, and fiber art. Some of the more interesting ones were the metal working booths. I liked one that had giant mobiles that looked like trees. Since this was the 80th dogwood festival they had installed a sculpture featuring oversized blossoms. Come halloween this could be a good venue for a budget performance of Little Shop of Horrors. 
There were also dog demonstrations. Since people don't really herd sheep here, the dogs were showing off their frizbee herding abilities. One of the better tricks was the dog who balanced on the owner's back and then lept off to catch a frizbee. 
It was a pretty fun way to welcome in spring. 



2 comments:

  1. You're right. You should definitely stage Little Shop of Horrors at the dogwood sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only hard part would be setting up the effect for having the flower eat people.

    ReplyDelete