Apparently there is a list of the 7 wonders of Georgia: Amicalola Falls, Okefenokee Swamp, Providence Canyon, Radium Springs, Stone Mountain, Tallulah Gorge, Warm Springs. I have already visited Amicalola, Stone Mountain, and Tallulah. For a quick camping adventure I decided to take on Providence Canyon.

Providence Canyon is called by some the Grand Canyon of the South. Created by poor irrigation practices, the canyon formed rapidly over the last 100 years, far shorter than the several million years it took to form the Grand Canyon. Despite being able to circle the whole canyon in a 3 mile loop, it does make for an impressive view from the top.

It also features the closest thing to mesas I have encountered here in the south.
But remember the "rock" is actually fertile farming soil and not very solid.
Which leaves some of the local vegetation hanging as erosion takes its toll.
A fun adventure and another of the seven wonders of Georgia checked off.





Wow, it DOES look like the Southwest! I really like the panorama.
ReplyDeleteHope you didn't spend too long there: canyons forming within 100 years must be pretty active places.
I hope you have also visited the 8th Wonder of Georgia--Bruster's Ice Cream.
ReplyDelete