Monday, November 6, 2017

Defense

I defended my PhD last week. Now I am officially Dr Cutler. It is good to finally be all done. I gave a presentation about all the work I have done for the last 5 years and people had a chance to ask me questions. Afterwards we had a party with all of my labmates and school friends. I am very glad that I have made such good friends in graduate school and that I have amazing advisers who have really supported me the whole time. 
Mom, Dad, and Grandma came to Atlanta for my defense So we got to do some Atlanta things while they were here. We went to see Amicolola falls and hike around in the mountains. 


We went out for a monster breakfast. There was far more amazing food than we could eat but I think my favorite was Mom's Swedish pancake. Mostly because usually when ordering food you don't get to measure it in bedsheet equivalents.  
Grandma and one of my friends gave me flowers to celebrate and they were quite beautiful 




When I came back to lab I found that my labmates had decorated my desk in honor of my newly awarded degree. I didn't actually get my doctorate in paleontology but I doubt that there would be more dinosaurs at my celebration even if I had.    


It is nice to finally be a doctor and I am very grateful that I had the opportunity to come to graduate school.

2 comments: