Wednesday, April 5, 2017

The Bodyguard Review

I got home from work and was sitting down to dinner when I got a phone call from one of my friends that she had an extra ticket to see a show that one of her friends from back home was performing in. The show started in an hour so I got changed and hopped in my car and went down to the Fox Theater. Since she had said her friend was a dancer, I was expecting a dance recital of some sort. You can imagine my surprise when I got in and found out that it was a musical. What there was of a plot centered around a body guard protecting a pop star. The show featured Whitney Houston's songs and it was fun to hear all of them. After the show we met the friend a the stage door and he took us on a tour of the backstage area. It was much smaller than I was expecting and there were many many many wires snaking everywhere. The view from the stage was pretty incredible. 
What I liked: The best part was a scene in a karaoke bar. The popstar and the bodyguard show up incognito. Some fan girls did a very rambunctious rendition of a Whitney Houston song. Then the bodyguard gave a terrible performance of another. Then the popstar performed one of her songs and everyone else realized it was her. The background characters were very funny. Almost all of the songs were staged as actual performances, so every musical number was like a mini concert complete with confetti and backup dancers. It was pretty exciting. 

What I didn't: There were only two people in the cast who actually sang, which seemed a bit thin for a musical. The plot was not great but not worse than most musicals and fit the songs rather well. 
Who should watch it? It was fun to see the performance and hear songs I knew well. If you love Whitney Houston you will enjoy the show. 

Would I watch it again? This would not be my first choice for a musical but it was fun to see and very fun to get to see the back stage area of the theater. 





No comments:

Post a Comment